"Ask Col. Jo" - Documenting Students' Questions

I’ve been thinking about documenting students’ learning in their own words recently - inspired by this post about documenting persistence. In my classroom, one of the things I sometimes struggled with was finding time to answer all of my students’ questions - and I tried to set up situations where students felt empowered to answer each others’ questions, which worked well for in the moment small things. But there were always bigger questions that I wished we could have had the time and energy to think about together.

I would love to set up a kind of ‘message board’ space for this - where students could write those ‘bigger’ questions for themselves, and others could try to answer them. This could be like an “Ask Col. Jo” space - where students can write to Jo, and others can reply. Not only would this give students agency over their learning, but it could lead to some great pathways for my own planning! It would be especially neat in a multi-age classroom, like a STEM class, where different groups of students could interact with one another. And by the end of a semester or grading period, you could share and archive some answered questions with all of your students, to make space for more.

What are some ways that you keep a handle on your students questions?

3 Likes

We had a Wonder Wall (a wall of inquiry). Student’s questions, wonderings and ideas were recorded and able to be weaved into different areas and learning experiences through planning. We had Weekly Wonder time to interact with the wall and investigate the curiosities posted.

4 Likes

That is such a great idea! One tool you might incorporate into your final solution is flipgrid. The students can make video recordings (shared by class) with questions and others can answer. Just a thought.

2 Likes

I do love a good Wonder Wall @Michele_Pikunic! I think it’s important for students to see that their ideas, questions, and word matter and have weight - even if you can’t answer ever question, or respond to every idea exactly in that moment.

A Flipgrid situation could definitely work well for this @Mark_Johnston - and it could be accessible remotely, giving a unique mixed age experience to remote learning.

1 Like

Your mentioning of how cool this could be in a multi-age classroom made me think that it would be amazing to do something like this in a school hallway where younger and older students could interact around the “big” questions! It would be a really fun way to encourage the development of a community of learners!

2 Likes