"Do you use the 'F word' with your students?"

At VEX Worlds, I had the privilege of chatting with @Bob_Mimlitch, and was asked an intriguing question – "Do you use the ‘F word’ with your students? In other words, did you say the word ‘failure’? How do you talk about failure with your students?" This question has been percolating around my brain for weeks now, and I’m eager to pose it to the larger community.

To me, as with most things in the classroom, my immediate reaction was, ‘it depends.’ In my classroom, with young students, things like making mistakes, trying again, problem solving, and talking about how to make a situation better were as natural as saying good morning when you came in the door. Did I say that was a ‘failure’ or use that word? Probably not, but the concept was there. The idea that you could write a word incorrectly, we then figure out what was wrong, and you try again to write it more accurately - the iterative process of learning from a failed attempt at something was present in every moment of every day.

But Bob’s question made me think about the language that we’re using with students to talk about these things. The word ‘failure’ carries a lot of weight - it is, in many places, a ‘heavy’ word. Whereas ‘mistake’ or ‘try again’ or even just ‘wrong’ don’t have the same gravity, and appear to get the point across in perhaps a gentler way. And with young children, the gentler approach makes sense, right? We want to frame learning, and the process of learning, as something supportive, to hopefully incite a love for that process. But as students get older, the language we use changes - and what was once simply a ‘mistake’ can become a ‘failure’, and just be a more grownup way of explaining iteration and learning. However, often ‘failure’ carries a much stronger connotation.

So, if we want to be able to use failures as opportunities to learn, how do we shape our language and classroom culture to support that? Does it come from changing the way we use the word failure? Or is the concept of learning from mistakes enough, regardless of the words we use to describe it?

John Dewey famously said, “Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes.” And I’d dare say every teacher has seen this in action! So how do you make students (and parents) comfortable with this way of learning?

@Jason_McKenna, @Anna_Blake, @Omar_Cortez, @Mark_Johnston, @Michele_Pikunic, @Aimee_DeFoe - I’m tagging all of you (from across grade levels) to get the conversation ball rolling here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Audra_Selkowitz thank you for a great post and leading question. This has really got me thinking as I am currently teaching four different classroom year levels as well as competition teams. Whilst the concept of failure is there, when working through the engineering design process we teach that it is a process, its not linear, that we need to test and make improvements and test again and document. One quote that I always share with my young inventors and creators is “I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work - Thomas A Edison”. By flipping our language and thinking about failure as a way to improve enables discussion and reflection to occur in a safe, supportive learning environment for all ages.

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of others in our community.

2 Likes

I love that quote @Michele_Pikunic! And it’s exactly language like that, that made this question so intriguing to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Michele_Pikunic Your words about the engineering design process not being linear reminded me of the fact that actual learning itself isn’t linear! And, in school it is so often presented as if it is - do these chapters of a unit in a textbook, in order, take a test and there you go, you learned something! It doesn’t have to be this way, though, and teaching with the edp is a great strategy for countering this unfortunately deeply ingrained idea about learning.

When I was teaching elementary students, I always made sure to have a continual dialogue with my students about what learning is and how it actually happens. I often used books about characters who faced and overcame challenges as a catalyst for starting conversations about learning from setbacks. I looked for evidence of perseverance in my students and made sure to recognize them when I saw them demonstrating it. I also tried to model this disposition by deliberately coming up with scenarios where they could see me mess up, evaluate why, make a plan to fix it, and try again. I’m sure I used the word “failure” during the course of these endeavors, but never as a negative term. I think it is how you frame it that truly matters!

1 Like

Thanks @Aimee_DeFoe, absolutely agree with your thinking and truly believe that failure is an important part of the learning process. When positively framed as part of the learning process, our students through discussion, reflection will develop a shared understanding and see failure as an opportunity - to change, to improve, to decide, to problem-solve. I can also recommend two new books that I have recently introduced into my STEM classroom library. They are rhyming texts that students across year levels enjoy - The Wonders of Never Giving Up and The Greatest Mistakes that went Right both by Maddy Marra and Cheryl Orsini.

I’m thinking out loud now but it would be great if we could we introduce this concept by a book similar to the one created by VEX Robotics to introduce VEX GO that could feature Astronaut Jo!

2 Likes

@Michele_Pikunic I absolutely LOVE the idea of creating a ‘learning through failure’ book! What a fantastic idea!

I LOVE that idea as well! I’ll add it to my growing list of stories to write :slight_smile: Speaking of books that frame this positively - The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires was always a favorite children’s book in my classroom. In looking for the author, I came across this article 7 Books to Inspire Young Inventors, from Scholastic, that could be a good resource for this framing as well.

2 Likes

@Audra_Selkowitz I wanted to start this conversation again…

This school year I have a new position…Director of STEAM and Innovation. Today I spoke at our Opening Day for staff about our vision for the VEX Robotics program for the school year. I ended with this quote from @Jason_McKenna book…

“If we want students to be iterative and persistent in a STEM lesson, we must create a culture where failure is a goal.”

And I said to the staff…we need to teach our students that it’s OK to fail, and make mistakes, but teach them how to problem solve to fix their mistakes and failures. I also told them…it’s really important to fail and make mistakes with your students, so they see it happens to everyone!

@Desiree_White-Price @Danielle_McCoy what are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Agreed! It is extremely important for students to see teachers just like any other human being, we make mistakes too! This is also a great way to connect with students and build trust within the classroom!

3 Likes

@Tina_Dietrich thank you so much for bringing this up again! Particularly at this time of the year, it’s so important to be mindful of this. And I agree wholeheartedly @Danielle_McCoy - some of the biggest teaching/learning moments I had in my classroom were when I made a mistake and worked collaboratively with the kids to fix it.

One year I had a great project that started with storytelling and grew into a stop-motion animation film. The kids were SO excited to start filming with the puppets they had made - we had a green screen and everything! We did the whole first day on the green screen, it was a BIG endeavor. Then I realized at the end of the day that to add a background in place of the green screen - you have to do that BEFORE you take 100 photos.

I spent well over an hour trying to figure out how to “fix” it, when devastated, I went to ask the Art Teacher if she had any insight. To which she said, "Do you have to fix it for them? It had literally NEVER occurred to me in all my troubleshooting.

So the next morning, I brought the problem to Morning Meeting, fully expecting my kids to be upset. Imagine my surprise when not a single one reacted like there was anything wrong. The overwhelming consensus was just that yesterday had been “practice”, and now we’d be even better at it. I still remember one students saying, “So it’s like when we don’t get all of our Journal words right the first time, we just go try again. It’s like that.”

That simple reminder brought home to me just how little I had internalized what I was imploring my students to do. Clearly I was succeeding in creating the culture I desired, I was just not real great at practicing what I preached. And it stuck with me! These moments can be so so powerful for our students, and for ourselves.

I think there are so many times that there is alot of pressure put on teachers from various forces (including from ourselves) and the idea of a culture where failure is opportunity, or even a goal, seems like it meant for anyone BUT us. But believing in that can help be a much needed relief valve for all of us.

3 Likes

I just read a GREAT article that I think fits perfectly into this thread. The article, “Don’t Erase That Mistake”, talks about the value of highlighting mistakes in class as part of a learning process, and then goes on to give some great strategies for how to do so.

From simple things like putting a heart around a mistake on maths paper, to helping students identify a pattern in the types of mistakes they are making.. The author identifies three “mistake types” that she uses with her students:

1. Sloppy mistakes - from going to fast or being careless, usually the ones someone says “I didn’t mean to do that!” about
  2. “A ha! Mistakes” - that identify a misconception or misunderstanding and give us an opportunity to figure out how to correct that
  3. "Stretch" mistakes - that come from doing something new or unfamiliar, and are a result of stretching your learning and capacity.

She goes on to say, that as they get practice identifying patterns in their mistakes, “Students notice that aha! and stretch mistakes represent breakthroughs in their new learning, and those are moments to celebrate.”

Definitely worth a read! It ties particularly well to what you were talking about @Danielle_McCoy, @Tina_Dietrich, and @Desiree_White-Price :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Audra_Selkowitz This is a great article! When I was a classroom teacher, I always started my math class with 2 math problems. I would collect them and then project a few of what I called my “favorite mistakes”. I would challenge the students to identify what the mistakes were and tell me how to fix them. The best part was when they would recognize it’s their paper (because of course I never put the names up). They would always yell out “that’s mine”, then proudly find their mistake and fix it! Even if they didn’t know the owner, they loved to identify and correct the problems.

3 Likes

This is great! I love the idea of putting a heart around the mistake or highlighting the mistake! This article is a wonderful example of changing teacher mindsets as well. How we as educators value and view mistakes is how our students ultimately feel! If students are taught early on that mistakes are valuable & positive, then I feel like there would not be so much negativity surrounding the topic, especially when students are older! Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

@Audra_Selkowitz That was a great article. I finding that this is becoming my motto more with my younger students. As I make mistakes, I also try to highlight them so that students know that mistakes are human and all people make them.

2 Likes

This is an assignment I do the first week of school in all my engineering and robotics classes. I found this on the internet, so I do not claim ownership, it’s just lesson the kids really like. It talks about Failure and how many successful people have had to work through their failures to succeed. There are two docs. below and I have included some of my students finished projects
Embracing the F Word
Failure Assignment
Henry Ford
Bill Gates
Silly Putty

2 Likes